Thursday, April 4, 2013

Wooden Caludron

Finished up another prop!



I had a ton of odd shaped scraps left over from the wedding, so I wanted to put them to good use. It would have been easier to purchase a cauldron, but where is the fun in that?! My Grandfather makes segmented wood bowls as a hobby, so I figured we could put the left over plywood to good use!

Segmented bowls come together by gluing up rings made up of wood pieces glued together to form a ring and you keep adding rings to get the height and thickness you want. It is then turned on a lathe!


Concept of cauldron



Odd shaped scraps that I could probably use for various small pieces, but I wanted to free up some space in the garage. We cut them into about three inch strips and glued them up to form around 10' strips.


I think all said and done this may have been twelve to thirteen rings in total.


Turning it on the lathe!


Used some drylok on it to give it some texture!



Finished the prop with black acrylic paint and I may end up sealing it with polycrilic.



2 comments:

  1. This is fantastic! I really enjoy your creative ideas and seeing them come to fruition.

    ReplyDelete